by Neil Spellings, CTP, UK CUGC Leader
As many of my twitter followers or blog readers will know, each year at Synergy I organise a community hotel discount in a decent hotel near the Synergy venue. Having worked as an independent for many years, I fully appreciate that the cost of attending Synergy can put many people off, with the triple-hit of unpaid leave, travel & hotel costs and conference fees.
So, I try to help in any way I can to encourage more people, especially independents like myself, to attend. Each year I publish my Ultimate Synergy Guide on my blog with tips and advice on travel, accommodation and how to get the most out of Synergy.
Before I open up this year’s hotel discount to the general public via my blog, I’d like to give CUGC members the opportunity to benefit first.
The conference hotels are in blue, with my discounted hotel centrally located in orange.
|Hotel||Conference rate||Website||Rank & Reviews|
|Atlanta Marriott Marquis||$209||Website||#78|
|Hyatt Regency Atlanta||$199||Website||#64|
|The Westin Peachtree Plaza||$209||Website||#49|
|The American Hotel||$139||Website||#38|
This year’s hotel deal is at The American, a DoubleTree by Hilton hotel. I’ve negotiated a great rate of $139 per night (cheaper than all the conference hotels) plus anyone booking with my rate code gets a daily free breakfast (usually $20 per night). The American is right in the centre of the cluster of conference hotels, so convenient for meeting other colleagues or attending those hotel bar after-parties!
From the hotel brochure:
Drawing on design features of the era from which the hotel was born, guests will experience Mid-Century Modern style that celebrates striking architectural details, Pop Art, and furnishings that harken back to a period characterized by clean simple lines
– 315 completelyNredesigned guest rooms, including 26 suites inspired to a mid-century modern style that celebrates striking architectural details, Pop Art and furnishings that date back to a period characterized by clean simple lines
– Originally built in 1962 as the premiere hotel in downtown Atlanta
– Notable guest over the years have included Richard Nixon, Nelson Rockefeller, Elvis Pressley, James Brown and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
– Sweet Dreams by DoubleTree sleep experience
– Close to all downtown attractions including the Georgia World Congress Center, CNN, Centennial Olympic Park, Georgia Dome, World of Coke and the Georgia Aquarium
– Wireless high-speed Internet access and remote guest-room printing
– Fitness Room and Outdoor Pool (with outdoor bar)
– Reimagined restaurant, lounge, catering and special event experiences
– A new open and welcoming arrival experience in the hotel’s lobby and public spaces.
You can book a king room or double room via my special rate by using this link.
Out of respect for those who can’t claim their travel expenses, please don’t book my group rate if you can expense one of the regular conference hotels to your employer at no cost to yourself.
I hope you manage to save some money, and do keep an eye out on my blog for more Synergy tips, and the vendor parties as they get announced, and see you in Atlanta!
Neil is an independent consultant working in London, England. He’s been a Citrix Technology Professional (CTP) for the past five years and is also a CUGC group leader having run the UK Citrix Usergroup since 2010